Momentum Builds Ahead Of 6th Annual EME Awards
The 2010 staging of the Excellence In Music and Entertainment (EME) Awards will unfold on Thursday February 4, at the Gardens at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, 81 Knutsford Boulevard, Kingston. Founded by popular radio personality Richard 'Richie B' Burgess, the awards show was created to honor the players in the local music industry, both past and present.
The EME Awards, a non-profit venture, has garnered unwavering support and popularity through the years and has attracted coverage from both the local and international media. Last year, the presence of America’s BETJ Channel, provided quite a fillip for the EMEs and their repeat airings of the event has definitely added to the excitement both here and abroad.
The publication of the List of Nominees for this year, has triggered off wild voting well beyond the initial projection of the organizers. An EME Awards spokesman said, ‘we had such a mad rush to our website (www.emeawards.com) that we had to speedily upgrade the capacity of our server to accommodate the increased traffic. In fact, we had to upgrade our server’s capacity to terabytes in order to facilitate the existing and growing traffic’. Internet votes represent 30% of final scores, the other 70% based on Chart success and overall impact.
Awards will be given out in over 30 categories including, Dj of the Year, Vocalist, Album, Song, Producer,Singjay, Lyricist, Best New Artist and Breakthru Artist of the Year among others. Additionally, the Award of ‘Role Model of the Year’ will be bestowed on Toots Hibbert and Denroy Morgan.
Considering the number of A-Listers that will be attending the 6th Annual EME Awards, the world awaits the fashion statements that will be made on the Red Carpet which opens up at 7 pm. The Awards Ceremony itself, which gets underway at 8 pm. The EMEs remain an invitation only event but will be aired on CVM TV, CVM Plus, Hot 102 FM and other local and international media affiliates.