Digicel to introduce top of the line Blackberry Bold to customers across the Caribbean
Top of the line BlackBerry smartphone features premium design and unprecedented performance - perfect for business professionals
Kingston, Jamaica, and Waterloo, Canada - 3 September, 2008: Digicel and Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announced the addition of the BlackBerry® Bold™ smartphone to its extensive range of handsets.
The BlackBerry Bold is the first BlackBerry to support tri-band high-speed networks around the world and comes with integrated GPS and Wi-Fi®, as well as a rich set of multimedia capabilities.
In short, customers will benefit from a super-fast phone with all the whistles and bells needed to work, play and communicate wherever they are.
The BlackBerry Bold boasts;
- Superior Performance – with more memory than ever before making it easier to download email attachments, stream video or load web pages. Blackberry Bold supports the renowned BlackBerry productivity applications including phone, email, messaging, organizer, and browser. Customers can also talk on the phone while sending and receiving emails, accessing the web, and downloading Word, Excel or PowerPoint files and editing them directly on the device using the preloaded DataViz® Documents to Go® software.
- Desktop-style Web Pages – giving users an on-the-go web browsing experience with desktop-style depiction
- Rich Multimedia – featuring a 2-megapixel camera with video recording capabilities, built-in flash and digital three levels zoom. The media player can display pictures and slideshows quickly, play movies in full screen mode, and manage an entire music collection. For customers, managing their music collection with iTunes®, the new BlackBerry® Media Sync application provides a simple way to sync iTunes digital music collections***.
- First Class Phone - featuring a new acoustic design that increases the size of the phone’s audio, improving listening quality and clarity. It also features noise cancellation technology that offsets background noise, a powerful speaker phone and support for polyphonic, mp3 and MIDI ring tones. The BlackBerry Bold allows you to roam anywhere in the world at the fastest speeds with its quad-band EDGE and tri-band HSDPA functionalities**.
- Robust Email and Messaging - giving users the industry’s leading mobile messaging solution. It works with BlackBerry® Enterprise Server, enabling advanced security and IT administration within IBM® Lotus® Domino®, Microsoft® Exchange and Novell® GroupWise® environments, as well as BlackBerry® Professional Software for small businesses. It also works with BlackBerry® Internet Service, giving users access to up to 10 work or personal email accounts (including most popular ISP email accounts), and the BlackBerry® Unite! software for SOHO and home users.
* Certain music files may not be supported, including files that contain digital rights management technologies.
** Check with service provider for roaming services.
ABOUT DIGICEL GROUP
Since its launch in 2001, Digicel has become the largest wireless telecommunications operator in the Caribbean with more than six million customers. After seven years, Digicel is renowned for competitive rates, unbeatable coverage, superior customer care, a wide variety of products and services and state-of-the-art handsets. By offering innovative wireless services and community support, Digicel has become a leading brand in the Caribbean and has placed the region at the cutting-edge of wireless communications.
Digicel is incorporated in Bermuda and has operations in 23 markets, including Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Aruba, Barbados, Bermuda, Bonaire, Curacao, the Cayman Islands, Dominica, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, St Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad & Tobago and Turks & Caicos. With new launches planned for the British Virgin Islands (BVI), Honduras and Panama, Digicel expects to be in 26 markets in the next 12 months. The Caribbean company also has coverage in St. Martin and St. Barths.
Digicel is the lead sponsor of Caribbean sports teams including the West Indies Cricket Team and Special Olympics teams and is title sponsor of the Digicel Caribbean Football Union Cup and the Copa De Naciones, the Caribbean and Central American qualifiers to the CONCACAF Gold Cup.
Visit www.digicelgroup.com for more information on Digicel
ABOUT RESEARCH IN MOTION (RIM)
Research In Motion is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of innovative wireless solutions for the worldwide mobile communications market. Through the development of integrated hardware, software and services that support multiple wireless network standards, RIM provides platforms and solutions for seamless access to time-sensitive information including email, phone, SMS messaging, Internet and intranet-based applications. RIM technology also enables a broad array of third party developers and manufacturers to enhance their products and services with wireless connectivity to data. RIM’s portfolio of award-winning products, services and embedded technologies are used by thousands of organizations around the world and include the BlackBerryÒ wireless platform, the RIM Wireless Handheld™ product line, software development tools, radio-modems and software/hardware licensing agreements. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. RIM is listed on the Nasdaq Stock Market (Nasdaq: RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RIM). For more information, visit www.rim.com or www.blackberry.com.